UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)

@  CindyR : (09 November 2017 - 08:51 AM)

I'm in too!

@  lollyh : (07 November 2017 - 12:23 PM)

ha!! i am in.woohooo. :clap: :thanx: :happydance: :yay: :ratlol:

@  lollyh : (30 October 2017 - 08:59 AM)

Rip my sweet Winston. :bigeyecry: I am gonna miss you sweet boy.you are with nougies in heaven.

@  lollyh : (24 October 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Yes I am Roos but I know their is a problem with the forums.it was put on Facebook..apparenting it was hacked & we waiting for tails to fix.on my pc it won't let me in.says decriptive website in big red writing.i am only getting in on my ipad. :ratsad:

@  Rattieroos : (23 October 2017 - 07:43 PM)

Hello..anyone still on here.?

@  lollyh : (23 October 2017 - 09:29 AM)

Hey everyone.is the forums back up & running?.

@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:28 PM) Oops wasnt finished. I will miss them like mad. :cry: :cry: :cry: This will no make my losses this year 9 :( :bigeyecry: I have 12 rescues left. My 10day old babies are turning 1 year tomorrow already. I will always have my few rats but I can't take on rescues anymore. At least for a while. Hope everyone is well.. sad to see the forum so quiet. I know I'm one of the quiet ones. @Lolly, thanks, missed you all too. I'm sure you and Winston miss her gentle nature. *hugs* *hugs*
@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:21 PM) Not able to be on much lately but had to tonight. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Grandpa Roo and his faithful Nibbs this evening. My heart felt like it was in pieces. Roo would have turned 3 next Tuesday. I keep expecting to see them in their cage or have them on the bed with me.
@  lollyh : (03 October 2017 - 09:07 PM) Hey Roos.yes!!. we have missed you. *hugs* thank you swty.miss her gentle nature so much. Poor Winston is also missing her too.
@  Rattieroos : (30 September 2017 - 08:31 PM) Hey all, haven't been on for ages. @ Lolly, so so sorry about Nougies :ratangel:
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 09:01 PM) hehehe after all our rattie talking. :ratgiggle: .i forgot to ask you about the new posting method for here. lol
@  Caryn : (28 September 2017 - 08:52 PM) lol Was lovely to finally meet you in person after all these years :D
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 03:54 PM) So today i finally got to meet my fellow noogan caryn today while up at the Spca.i was so excited to meet her.i screamed her name like a mad person. :clap: lol
@  Caryn : (27 September 2017 - 08:44 PM) Ah no :(
@  CindyR : (27 September 2017 - 12:56 PM) Aaarrrggggg! I can't seem to post any pics with this new image site. My pc refuses to work with it.
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:40 PM) for the most part, the NB images are done, but please drop me a PM or an email (not here in the chat) if you see any more 3rd party photobucket broken image links (excl posts made by members other than admin/Tails)
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM) yay banners done so far
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 12:39 PM) @lollyh, dont think he's a RN member :) and I'm so so sorry about Nougies :( :( :(
@  DiscoMoose : (19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM) i'm really sorry Lolly. She was most beautiful and special girl. I am thankful that she could go peacefully at home, with those she loves. <3 rest in peace dearest Nougies. All my love and compassion to you, Lolly <3
@  lollyh : (18 September 2017 - 09:56 PM) hi all.my very special nougies passed away this morning at 2:20am. :ratsadlook: .she reached 3 yrs & 2months.gonna miss her so much.she passed with sweet winston by her side till the end.

Photo

noms

food diet dry mix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Hi everybody :)

I have been making my own dry mix, but after much reading I have decided to also include Reggie Rat in there.  This may be a silly question: is Reggie Rat & Mimi Mouse the same thing as Reggie Rat?  I thought that rat and mice diets were different as mice are not omnivores...?  I found Reggie Rat & Mimi Mouse in the shop and I just want to check that it is ok before I feed it to my babies tonight.

Next question: I cannot find puffed wheat without sugar, salt, etc. anywhere!  So I include some broken up weetbix (the one with no sugar, salt, etc.), but weetbix is fortified with iron, so I am worried about that being bad for my rattie babies.  I have done heaps of reading and I can't seem to find out how much iron rats should have in their "perfect" diet.  Anybody have any info on this?

I have also been giving my babies a few hemp seeds here and there and they love them!  Do you think I can include these in their dry mix or should I just keep these as treats?  I don't see a problem with feeding these to them regularly in their dry mix, but there isn't a lot of good info out there about this so I thought I would run it past the Ratanooga experts.  I put in a little bit of sunflower seeds in the dry mix (just a few for some difference), as I know that too much protein is bad.  What other seeds are good to include?

Their dry mix also features barley, basmati rice, brown lentils and red lentils, but they don't seem too keen on those suprisingly.  So I want to include some other options in there for them.  I tried bulgur wheat, but that wasn't popular - I think as it is too small.  I think they will love split peas, but I am hesitant to put those in as I feed (among other things) thawed frozen peas most nights (a firm favourite) - and again my concern is that too much protein is bad - or will this be ok?  What other dried grains do your ratties like?  

Dried pasta that is coloured/flavoured with veggies like butternut goes into the dry mix as well each time (first to get completely picked out).  And a few chunks of 2min noodles (with no msg etc.) as a treat here and there because they freaking love those!

Obviously cooked rice and pasta are adored, and they have that whenever we eat it.  In fact, I make a little bit specially for them each week even if we don't eat it.  Back to dry mix though: I also include rolled oats, which they eat like the rest of the dry mix (because they have to - haha).  I try to leave their dry mix out until they have had a good assortment of the grains to help ensure a more balanced diet, but I always end up throwing some stale mix away.  I am sure that this is normal, but I worry that they are not getting the proper nutrition if they just eat the stuff that they like. 

Anyway enough questions from me (for now).  Any ideas of other grains to include in my babies' diet would be greatly appreciated.

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

Yep, the Reggie and Mouse bags are the same as the old plain Reggie Rat :)

Ronelrat may be able to assist with the dry mix questions.  I personally do not mix my own dry feed.  There are just too many variations to get the vitamins and minerals balanced properly and this can change just by changing one ingredient.  I feed Pretoria Rattery's homemade mix because I know Ronelrat has put a lot of research into it and uses only the best grade ingredients.  I mix around 3 to 4 bags of the Pretoria Rattery feed with one bag of Reggie Rat before storing as my girls love the biscuits in Reggie Rat and I felt awful removing those from their diet otherwise :)

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

CindyR

CindyR

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2075 posts
  • I own 3 rats

I use the PTA mix, but I add to stretch it out a bit.

Puffed spelt 

Rolled oats and rolled barley flakes

Coconut flakes

All bran flakes or the sticks (The PTA mix has it in now)

Crushed up roasted cashews.  Not the salted ones. I take the peanuts out of the mix and only give to them as a treat.

Flax seeds

There was something else, but can't remember now.

My boys eat everything.  It might best to get some of the PTA mix in the end and this is so far the best mix for rats. Reggie rat has changed so much and I just don't trust it anymore.

As cooked, you can try some Bulgar wheat and buckwheat cooked with barley and rice.  I cook a pot and freeze for whenever I need.  It's really good.

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Awesome thank you Cindy and Caryn!  

Cindy I will definitely add those in to liven up their mix :)  Ooh puffed spelt (googling now as I have no idea what that looks like)!  On a side note, I love that Google has now become a verb!  haha!  Don't mind me, I'm just a language nerd over here.

Mavdb

Mavdb

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • I own 6 rats
I feed our boys the Pretoria Rattery mix that Ronel makes. She has done reasearch and worked hard to get a balanced mix. I would be careful making my own as rats need the right quantities of the various nutrients etc. You can also buy the Scuttling Gourmet book that has well researched rat food mixes.
  • CindyR likes this

Mom to Arthur, Snoopy and Roo. Watching over us: Asterix, Obelix, Poker, Blackjack, Hercules, Lancelot, Galahad, Percival, Merlin, Dennis and Charlie Brown.

Amy

Amy

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Thank you Mav!  I will definitely look into the book - that sounds awesome!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, diet, dry mix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users