UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)

@  CindyR : (09 November 2017 - 08:51 AM)

I'm in too!

@  lollyh : (07 November 2017 - 12:23 PM)

ha!! i am in.woohooo. :clap: :thanx: :happydance: :yay: :ratlol:

@  lollyh : (30 October 2017 - 08:59 AM)

Rip my sweet Winston. :bigeyecry: I am gonna miss you sweet boy.you are with nougies in heaven.

@  lollyh : (24 October 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Yes I am Roos but I know their is a problem with the forums.it was put on Facebook..apparenting it was hacked & we waiting for tails to fix.on my pc it won't let me in.says decriptive website in big red writing.i am only getting in on my ipad. :ratsad:

@  Rattieroos : (23 October 2017 - 07:43 PM)

Hello..anyone still on here.?

@  lollyh : (23 October 2017 - 09:29 AM)

Hey everyone.is the forums back up & running?.

@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:28 PM) Oops wasnt finished. I will miss them like mad. :cry: :cry: :cry: This will no make my losses this year 9 :( :bigeyecry: I have 12 rescues left. My 10day old babies are turning 1 year tomorrow already. I will always have my few rats but I can't take on rescues anymore. At least for a while. Hope everyone is well.. sad to see the forum so quiet. I know I'm one of the quiet ones. @Lolly, thanks, missed you all too. I'm sure you and Winston miss her gentle nature. *hugs* *hugs*
@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:21 PM) Not able to be on much lately but had to tonight. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Grandpa Roo and his faithful Nibbs this evening. My heart felt like it was in pieces. Roo would have turned 3 next Tuesday. I keep expecting to see them in their cage or have them on the bed with me.
@  lollyh : (03 October 2017 - 09:07 PM) Hey Roos.yes!!. we have missed you. *hugs* thank you swty.miss her gentle nature so much. Poor Winston is also missing her too.
@  Rattieroos : (30 September 2017 - 08:31 PM) Hey all, haven't been on for ages. @ Lolly, so so sorry about Nougies :ratangel:
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 09:01 PM) hehehe after all our rattie talking. :ratgiggle: .i forgot to ask you about the new posting method for here. lol
@  Caryn : (28 September 2017 - 08:52 PM) lol Was lovely to finally meet you in person after all these years :D
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 03:54 PM) So today i finally got to meet my fellow noogan caryn today while up at the Spca.i was so excited to meet her.i screamed her name like a mad person. :clap: lol
@  Caryn : (27 September 2017 - 08:44 PM) Ah no :(
@  CindyR : (27 September 2017 - 12:56 PM) Aaarrrggggg! I can't seem to post any pics with this new image site. My pc refuses to work with it.
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:40 PM) for the most part, the NB images are done, but please drop me a PM or an email (not here in the chat) if you see any more 3rd party photobucket broken image links (excl posts made by members other than admin/Tails)
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM) yay banners done so far
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 12:39 PM) @lollyh, dont think he's a RN member :) and I'm so so sorry about Nougies :( :( :(
@  DiscoMoose : (19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM) i'm really sorry Lolly. She was most beautiful and special girl. I am thankful that she could go peacefully at home, with those she loves. <3 rest in peace dearest Nougies. All my love and compassion to you, Lolly <3
@  lollyh : (18 September 2017 - 09:56 PM) hi all.my very special nougies passed away this morning at 2:20am. :ratsadlook: .she reached 3 yrs & 2months.gonna miss her so much.she passed with sweet winston by her side till the end.

Photo

Fuss pots!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Cappucino

Cappucino

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • I own 2 rats

I took note of everything that everyone was feeding their ratties, and on fb, and I have come to the conclusion that my 2 are fussy!!!! They don't like: cucumber, grapes, tomato, cauliflower, kiwi, apple, mange tout, green beans, mushrooms, yogurt...and some more. Goodness, it doesn't leave me much. Even bananas i now find left behind. So that leaves the fruit option pretty spare actually.

They do LOVE baby mielies, peas, chicken, lamb, rice, barley, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cheese, pasta (sometimes) and apparently, rooibos tea :loveyoueyes:

Any suggestions on what else I can "tempt" them with, the fuss pots???

And let's not discuss potty training....sigh, my two are just not interested.

• Rattieroos likes this

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

How old are they again?  I find younger rats especially are quite fussy and then starting eating more as they get older.    

This probably has to do with rats in the wild who have to learn which foods are safe or not.  Usually they will eat a small amount and wait to see if they get sick.  If they don't then are more likely to eat it again next time and in larger quantities.  They also take cues from other rats as to what they know is safe.  In this respect it helps a lot when you already have older rats and bring in newbies as they will eat whatever the older ones do. 

So don't give up feeding any of those things, keep at it and you'll find they'll warm up to them :)  Obviously rats will always have their favourites and this also varies from rat to rat, but I still feed a bit of everything and some days they're happier with the chef than others :P

• Tails, Mavdb and Rattieroos like this

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

DiscoMoose

DiscoMoose

is moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • I own 3 rats

Bolliemuis has this habit of being totally in love with a certain type of food like pumpkin - but as soon as I give it too regularly, he goes right off it and then I have to wait a looooong time before he wil eat it again. There are some execptions to that though, like banana which I am sure he will never get tired of. My boys have always loved banana and apple, I think it is one of their favorites. They also love most of the other things you said your boys love. Peas are always a winner, and my boys adooooore cooked mielies.  If you haven't tried yet you should try broccoli and um.. .. blomkool.. cauliflower. Be careful of feeding brussels sprouts, just because it turns them into little gas-skunks and they get really stinky really quick afterwards :P 

But it sounds like you are feeding a decent variety... if they're not into something now, chances are always they might be into something later. 

As for toilet training... I have a  solution. Put expensive electronics in their cage instead of a normal 'pee-stone' - something like an i-phone or a graphics tablet or a headset or guitar effects pedals... they will learn where the toilet is in no time!!!  :ratgiggle:  :ratlol: lol :ratlol: lol :ratgiggle:

• Mavdb and Rattieroos like this

|| the Moose is real ||

Kat

Kat

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • I own 0 rats

Keep up tempting them - they might change their minds about some stuff.  Julee loved broccoli, but none of my others did. None of mine ever liked mushrooms or courgettes, but they grew to like some of the things on your list, carrot, grapes, apple, banana etc. They liked cous cous. and would eat a bit of green pepper (but didn't love it). Mine preferred veggies to be a bit cooked and softer e.g. would eat steamed carrot but not raw. Peas and mielies were always a hit and a favourite for mommy too because easy to prepare when I had nothing else. Baby cereal was another lazy-mommy standard.

• Rattieroos likes this

Cappucino

Cappucino

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • I own 2 rats

lol Moose - they peed on my tablet the other day!! And my son pointed out that they are using a pee stone, just not a stone, as they peed on his eraser on his desk :ratgiggle:

Ok will keep trying new foods...except the brussel sprouts!

Caryn they are around 5 months now. This chef is not getting much appreciation...  :ratcookie:

Kat maybe I must try the baby cereal for them for breakfast. Which do you use?

• Rattieroos and DiscoMoose like this

DiscoMoose

DiscoMoose

is moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • I own 3 rats

lol Moose - they peed on my tablet the other day!! And my son pointed out that they are using a pee stone, just not a stone, as they peed on his eraser on his desk :ratgiggle:

lol your son would be quite correct! lol smooth surfaces for the win it seems  

• Rattieroos and Cappucino like this

|| the Moose is real ||

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
Chantal, plus on to Caryn and Moose and Kat as well. The littlies often use the older ones to see if something is good to try and without that it might just take a bit longer. Try the things that don't break the bank lol as in wastage. Peas and corn do seem to be a hit on any ratty ever owned it seems lol

Cooked rice of any kind usually works and then mixed with peas and corn is fine.. They aren't being deprived of a healthy diet. Mine also prefer cooked carrot and broccoli to raw. In fact I buy the mixed frozen veg now and add a blob of margerine after cooking, I sometimes add the frozen baby peas or canned corn in the mix as well because those two always seem less.

Anything fresh that hasn't been eaten remove from the cage by next day latest.. Oh and the porridge is the baby porridge, any one that says just add milk but instead of adding milk we just mix with water. The ones that say mix with water on the shelf already have milk in them which isn't good for our babies. I normally get the Nestle one, either mixed cereals, plain banana or strawberry and banana. You also get a maize one and a rice one. Haven't tried those myself yet. I quite enjoy the baby cereal with a bit of strawberry ensure in myself lol as a comfort food and I even enjoy et better with water instead of milk.

Maybe time to give up on the toilet??? Just spot clean daily otherwise you're going to be frustrated everyday and not enjoy them as much, plus removing the toilets will give you more space. Some boys just aren't interested, this of course I know from experience lol ... I just clean their cage more frequently and take out poops when I see them. I have four boys...it should be much easier with two... Slow down on the veg if they're pooping too much, they don't need the veg everyday as long as they always have their dry mix.
  • Cappucino likes this
My current Ratties: Dove, Marybelle, Rosy, Ivy, Peaches, Plum and Duff (girls) Thunder, Doodle and Wallee (neutered boys) then my intact boys: Rodger and Dodger :ratlol: :tummykiss: :Kiss:

Always remembered, always in my heart, RIP my children: Sandy (our first ratty love) Pepper, Mickey, Snowy, Cloudy, Kellogs, Snoekie, Thing 1, Wotnot, Thing 2, Mischief, Monty, Barney, Seamus, Dolores aka Dilly, Jerry, Brian, Alfred, Patches, Stewie, Squeak, Bubble, Treble, Hayley, Onyx, Milo, Roxie, baby Bailey, FiFi, Bass, Bangerang, Emo, Nibbs and Roo :bigeyecry: :ratangel:

RIP my doggy loves: Andy and Toffee, loved and missed forever :cry:

Cappucino

Cappucino

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • I own 2 rats

yeah I think I must give up on the toilet now. maybe try an eraser first though...you never know!!!! i just hope they don't eat it.

Going to buy some baby food then...and maybe not stress so much about giving them a varied diet, they are quite fat (well Cappucino is) it seems to me so they must be doing fine. I must try and post some photos. I got loads of photos last nights...of their butts...they would not turn around for me!

• Rattieroos likes this

Mavdb

Mavdb

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • I own 6 rats
We're lucky I guess, our boys eat basically everything we give them. They pick out what the like first but the next day the finish up what was left from dinner (we give the fresh fruit and veg in the evenings). Dennis, our rescue boy, is fussy! He doesn't eat meat, didn't used to eat peas and corn, wouldnt eat bread or chips etc, we once offered him an entire burger and chips and he just turned and walked away lol he's less fussy now though.

lol yes expensive gadgets are a great pee magnet!
  • Rattieroos likes this

Mom to Arthur, Snoopy and Roo. Watching over us: Asterix, Obelix, Poker, Blackjack, Hercules, Lancelot, Galahad, Percival, Merlin, Dennis and Charlie Brown.

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
Eraser??? Are you daft, they'd prefer an expensive phone or iPad at least lol lol
My current Ratties: Dove, Marybelle, Rosy, Ivy, Peaches, Plum and Duff (girls) Thunder, Doodle and Wallee (neutered boys) then my intact boys: Rodger and Dodger :ratlol: :tummykiss: :Kiss:

Always remembered, always in my heart, RIP my children: Sandy (our first ratty love) Pepper, Mickey, Snowy, Cloudy, Kellogs, Snoekie, Thing 1, Wotnot, Thing 2, Mischief, Monty, Barney, Seamus, Dolores aka Dilly, Jerry, Brian, Alfred, Patches, Stewie, Squeak, Bubble, Treble, Hayley, Onyx, Milo, Roxie, baby Bailey, FiFi, Bass, Bangerang, Emo, Nibbs and Roo :bigeyecry: :ratangel:

Cappucino

Cappucino

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • I own 2 rats

True...they peed on my phone last night...well dribbled really

DiscoMoose

DiscoMoose

is moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • I own 3 rats

lol Cappucino I dare you to go get a bunch of erasers and try them in the toilet! Seeing as they enjoyed your son's eraser and they are quite smooth... maybe you can steer their tastes away from the expensive stuff before it is too late!  :ratlol: But ya it will not be cool if they eat them  :ratyumm:   :bigeyerat:  although I've eaten my fair share of eraser and I survived... (yes. I ate stationery as a kid  :drool: those twisty crayons were my favourite) 

|| the Moose is real ||

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
Well that's it then Chantal, when hey dribble pee on something it's basically like them saying "this is mine and this is mine and this is mine" so when they do that on you feel privileged to be part of their family lol ok seriously, a lot of boys urine mark but some girls that I've had to as well. Depends on the rat and neutering doesn't always stop it...so I hope it doesn't freak you out... I have little f10 spray bottles in my room and the lounge or baby wipes as it can leave remotes and things like that sticky..

Moose lol , most of those things are non toxic now days...wouldn't give to make sure though lol I had a boy in my primary school class that used to eat that glue mix we made in art? Ugh :puke:

Cappucino

Cappucino

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • I own 2 rats

They dribble on me all the time, does that mean I belong to them???

I swear I am going to try the erasers...worst case scenario I have stationary ready for my kids for next year lol

The lucky sausages got soup bones this morning for breakfast, they were in ratty heaven!!

i must say they are getting cuter by the day, really enjoying them :thud:

• Rattieroos likes this

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
lol yes you're their's now lol

Lucky ratties, I'm sure they were..

Glad you're enjoying them more and worrying less. Can't wait to see pics of how they've grown :)
  • Cappucino likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users