UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)

@  CindyR : (09 November 2017 - 08:51 AM)

I'm in too!

@  lollyh : (07 November 2017 - 12:23 PM)

ha!! i am in.woohooo. :clap: :thanx: :happydance: :yay: :ratlol:

@  lollyh : (30 October 2017 - 08:59 AM)

Rip my sweet Winston. :bigeyecry: I am gonna miss you sweet boy.you are with nougies in heaven.

@  lollyh : (24 October 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Yes I am Roos but I know their is a problem with the forums.it was put on Facebook..apparenting it was hacked & we waiting for tails to fix.on my pc it won't let me in.says decriptive website in big red writing.i am only getting in on my ipad. :ratsad:

@  Rattieroos : (23 October 2017 - 07:43 PM)

Hello..anyone still on here.?

@  lollyh : (23 October 2017 - 09:29 AM)

Hey everyone.is the forums back up & running?.

@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:28 PM) Oops wasnt finished. I will miss them like mad. :cry: :cry: :cry: This will no make my losses this year 9 :( :bigeyecry: I have 12 rescues left. My 10day old babies are turning 1 year tomorrow already. I will always have my few rats but I can't take on rescues anymore. At least for a while. Hope everyone is well.. sad to see the forum so quiet. I know I'm one of the quiet ones. @Lolly, thanks, missed you all too. I'm sure you and Winston miss her gentle nature. *hugs* *hugs*
@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:21 PM) Not able to be on much lately but had to tonight. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Grandpa Roo and his faithful Nibbs this evening. My heart felt like it was in pieces. Roo would have turned 3 next Tuesday. I keep expecting to see them in their cage or have them on the bed with me.
@  lollyh : (03 October 2017 - 09:07 PM) Hey Roos.yes!!. we have missed you. *hugs* thank you swty.miss her gentle nature so much. Poor Winston is also missing her too.
@  Rattieroos : (30 September 2017 - 08:31 PM) Hey all, haven't been on for ages. @ Lolly, so so sorry about Nougies :ratangel:
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 09:01 PM) hehehe after all our rattie talking. :ratgiggle: .i forgot to ask you about the new posting method for here. lol
@  Caryn : (28 September 2017 - 08:52 PM) lol Was lovely to finally meet you in person after all these years :D
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 03:54 PM) So today i finally got to meet my fellow noogan caryn today while up at the Spca.i was so excited to meet her.i screamed her name like a mad person. :clap: lol
@  Caryn : (27 September 2017 - 08:44 PM) Ah no :(
@  CindyR : (27 September 2017 - 12:56 PM) Aaarrrggggg! I can't seem to post any pics with this new image site. My pc refuses to work with it.
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:40 PM) for the most part, the NB images are done, but please drop me a PM or an email (not here in the chat) if you see any more 3rd party photobucket broken image links (excl posts made by members other than admin/Tails)
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM) yay banners done so far
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 12:39 PM) @lollyh, dont think he's a RN member :) and I'm so so sorry about Nougies :( :( :(
@  DiscoMoose : (19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM) i'm really sorry Lolly. She was most beautiful and special girl. I am thankful that she could go peacefully at home, with those she loves. <3 rest in peace dearest Nougies. All my love and compassion to you, Lolly <3
@  lollyh : (18 September 2017 - 09:56 PM) hi all.my very special nougies passed away this morning at 2:20am. :ratsadlook: .she reached 3 yrs & 2months.gonna miss her so much.she passed with sweet winston by her side till the end.

Photo

A bit wary...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Cluna

Cluna

Fuzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • I own 2 rats

Hi everyone,

I'm super keen to try the Ratanooga rat mix food, however, I see that there are puffed rice, oats, pronutro flakes in it and I'm a bit wary as it is similar to what I gave Cleo and she started choking.  Both my brother and I gave our rats Weetbix flakes and both rats have choked on it (badly), I also gave Cleo a bit of toast and she also choked on that. So now I'm a bit wary of foods that can get soggy and maybe stick in their throats.

Can someone ease my mind please as I'm really keen on getting this new mix?

ebyte64

ebyte64

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • I own 6 rats

Hi Cluna.

Sorry to hear about the choking. Not nice.  :(

I can't really say why your ratties are choking on it sorry. 

I have however been giving all my rats the RN mix for most of their lives with fresh fruit and veggies as a supplement and they are doing very well on it. 

I do however give the spar brand bran flakes and the spar brand puffed rice as they are very low in salt and sugar which is good.

I would use caution with bread as the bread can expand in their throats and cause them to choke.

Sorry I can't give more valuable input. 

• Cluna likes this

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
Shame man :( it sounds like Cleo could pe prone to choking. The problem might be with her and not necessarily the food. I've only ever seeing one of my rats choke and it's horrible to witness but they shouldn't be choking on normal rat mixes. Hope things come right. Sure someone will give some more info soon. Sometimes the sight is quiet on weekends.
My current Ratties: Dove, Marybelle, Rosy, Ivy, Peaches, Plum and Duff (girls) Thunder, Doodle and Wallee (neutered boys) then my intact boys: Rodger and Dodger :ratlol: :tummykiss: :Kiss:

Always remembered, always in my heart, RIP my children: Sandy (our first ratty love) Pepper, Mickey, Snowy, Cloudy, Kellogs, Snoekie, Thing 1, Wotnot, Thing 2, Mischief, Monty, Barney, Seamus, Dolores aka Dilly, Jerry, Brian, Alfred, Patches, Stewie, Squeak, Bubble, Treble, Hayley, Onyx, Milo, Roxie, baby Bailey, FiFi, Bass, Bangerang, Emo, Nibbs and Roo :bigeyecry: :ratangel:

RIP my doggy loves: Andy and Toffee, loved and missed forever :cry:

ronelrat

ronelrat

Since owning rats i've lost my mind but found my soul

• Premium Breeders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
Rats can choke on anything really and I actually think it also happens more often than we think.
I even had rats choke on veggies before.
Luckily true choking is rare. As long as your rat sits still with its mouth open and / or drooling its fine. Its busy working the object out or down. Dont move or bother it. Just keep an eye on him / her until its out. Usually the moment the object it out they run back to the food bowl to continue eating.
If they cant breathe they will look more panicked and restless. Take your rat around its body and fling it in a circle movement head down 2-3 times. If it does not work rush it to your nearest vet.
Im not changing my diet if one rat chocked once on something. I had a report of a rat that choked on cous cous. I have 30 rats that eat cous cous 2-3 times a week and never had an incident.
Maybe scatter feed your dry food in the litter. My large groups of rats used to hog the food bowl at feeding time trying to get to the tasty bits as fast as possible. Now they "kreepy krauly" through the litter calmly throughout the day and eat less hasted. Everyone has an equal chance to get to the tasty bits.

Tails

Tails

RATANOOGA Co-Founder & Avid Photographer

• Administrators
  • 9583 posts
  • I own 0 rats

Take your rat around its body and fling it in a circle movement head down 2-3 times.

Can I just mention that, whilst often touted as a saving method, for MOST choking cases, this method actually worsens the problem, especially if done incorrectly. I would also suggest making sure you have the body and neck area secure in your hands before any flinging. You do not want to accidentally let go, nor do you want any whiplash problems or broken necks.

Please, please use caution when trying this method.

I would sooner rush the rat to the vet, as most often we cannot get the force required for a centrifuge reaction with whatever is lodged in their throat anyway.

Rats:
Cats:
Scooter & Angie

:ratangel: RIP: Maxie "my Maxibon", Pepper "my Pepsicola", Intel "The Original Fragile", Apple "my Fadapple", Linux "my Beautiful Girl", Feyrith "my Banana-Face", Xeon "my Old Cronky", Ramoth "my Badgerboo", Orlith " my Orly-whip"/"my Orlyball", Wirenth "Wormy"; Vignette "Figgy Pudding"; Iso "Iso 1000 / Hamster Rat"; Macro "The Fats"; Oscar ("my little lion"), NiMH "Nimble-Thim/Nimbelina", Pidtjie "Pidjtie-Poodle", Thyme "Teecky", Brie "my Broo", Cinnamon "Cinna-mom", Three "Wheel Tail",Treble "Trebbest / Buddahbelly", Cotton "Cottonball"
tag #ratanoogarats on your rat photos on Instagram!

ronelrat

ronelrat

Since owning rats i've lost my mind but found my soul

• Premium Breeders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
I hear you and realise if done incorrectly can do harm. The fling need not be forceful. With my one case of actual chocking the rat was going crazy and really couldn't breathe. There was no time to get it to an emergency vet that late at night. One circle movement and it was fine.
My 5 or so other cases were just food stuck they worked out themselves and I left them to do the work themselves.
Debbie advises to do the heimlich by pressing sharply in and up under ribcage but I wont advise that as you can easily do more harm and even break ribs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users