UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)

@  lollyh : (31 August 2018 - 10:43 AM)

Thank you moosie & caryn.its been hard. :ratsadlook: .

@  Caryn : (14 August 2018 - 07:24 AM)

Thank you Discomoose :) Lollyh, so very sorry about Rascal :ratsad:

@  DiscoMoose : (12 August 2018 - 07:48 PM)

congratz on your promotions Caryn and Settican (:

@  DiscoMoose : (12 August 2018 - 07:48 PM)

I'm sorry about Rascal Lolly :( RIP sweet girl...

@  lollyh : (03 August 2018 - 09:34 PM)

Rip my beautiful rascal. :bigeyecry: my last girl. :ratsad: .play hard up their sweetheart.you made it to 2yrs & 8 months despite 2 tumors..i am gonna miss you so much. :Kiss: :wub:

@  Settican : (03 August 2018 - 12:32 PM)

Woohoo promotion! Thanks Tails :D

@  Caryn : (03 August 2018 - 12:28 PM)

Thank you :D I got a promotion :yay: lol

@  Tails : (02 August 2018 - 01:25 PM)

@caryn and @settican, welcome to the Admin Team!

@  Caryn : (11 July 2018 - 07:25 AM)

She says she has had the captcha disabled, so the problem should be solved now. Hopefully people are able to join up without hassle if they try again.

@  Caryn : (08 July 2018 - 10:57 AM)

Ah geez, I'll see if I can reach Tails about it

@  ronelrat : (08 July 2018 - 10:02 AM)

There are people wanting to join the forum who says they received a message asking for a security code?

@  Caryn : (07 July 2018 - 05:49 PM)

Two of my girls over the years have had strokes. Both were still alive when I found them but suffering side effects ie: paralysis, loss of cognitive function. Sadly there is not much that can be done if they are very far gone, smaller strokes can be treated and rats can recover. Seizures are horrible. Mavdb had a couple of boys with issues, you may be able to find posts here on the forum.

@  lollyh : (07 July 2018 - 01:56 PM)

Thank you caryn.im so heartsore.i went out for dinner last night & he was fine,came back home 1 hour later & found him at the bottom of the cage like he was didnt know where he was . :puppy_dog_eyes: .do you have any knowledge on seizures or strokes?

@  Caryn : (07 July 2018 - 12:23 PM)

So very sorry :ratsad:

@  lollyh : (07 July 2018 - 05:11 AM)

Lost my moo lastnight. :ratsad: I'm still in shock.

@  lollyh : (29 June 2018 - 12:04 AM)

Thank you caryn sway. *hugs* *hugs*

@  Caryn : (27 June 2018 - 08:53 AM)

You're not mad at all for wanting to help her :ratsad:

@  lollyh : (25 June 2018 - 04:33 PM)

Thank you caryn.yes i know you would.:-).i love her so much.i dont care about the cost.really i dont.even though everyone around me says im mad & just put her down. :bigeyecry: .no unfortunately i don't have an edgars account.

@  Caryn : (25 June 2018 - 11:43 AM)

Sorry you're going through that with your girl. You know I'd opt for the surgery, Dr O says he can do it and I trust him completely. I realise cost is an issue though. Do you have an Edgars acct you can pay with or can you sign a debit order with them? That's what I usually do for larger surgery costs.

@  lollyh : (25 June 2018 - 09:34 AM)

i have such a hard decision to make. :bigeyerat:

Photo

3 rat pups wanted.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

IcarusZulu

IcarusZulu

Fuzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi all I'm looking for three rat pups. After three years we have lost Dr Evil and Ratso. Dr evil a year ago (phnumonia) and today Ratso. Fortunately I prepped my kids on their longevity. At least they were part of the family and way way outlasted the hamsters we had before. Our last two were bought from a snake breeder who agreed to donate me two as he was also a tarantula breeder and we met in the tarantula forum. So his rats were pavement specials do to speak. Non the less our family is fond of rats and now we are in demand for three. What we would like is Gambian pouched rats however I think it's illegal tho keep. Has anyone x bread them to make them legal otherwise the next biggest in the list. We are really not picky however a larger species would be a win. We now have three kids so its one per kid. :-) Thanks Hans Fourways JHB

DanielleD

DanielleD

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • I own 5 rats
Well.. a male dumbo rat is quite large

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Sasha

Sasha

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts
  • I own Select One rats
You wouldn't be able to cross them into pet rat lines if that's what you mean? They're not the same family, let alone genus. I'm sure some other people might have more knowledge of more exotic species, but personally I'm not sure you're going to get anything anywhere near as domesticated as pet rats. Some pet rats do come in quite big, the Essex line for example throws some pretty large rats.

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Backup Administrator
  • 10970 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
+1 to what Sasha said already. The Gambian pouched rats are not legal as pets in South Africa anyway as they are classified as indigenous wildlife. So you will not find any breeders here. If you want pet rats then check out the Ratanooga website or download the Rat Care Guide to get a list of the breeders and you'll need to contact the breeders to see what litters they have available or coming up and get put on their waiting list for bubs. Also something to consider is getting two bubs now and then another two at a later stage rather than three altogether. That way you don't have a situation like you did with your previous two where one was left all alone for so long when his friend passed away. Staggering pairs and ages ensures that they always have at least one companion :)
Posted Image

Heidi

Heidi

Teenage Rat

• Members (Advertising)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts
  • I own 4 rats
Hi Hans Have you thought weather you want males or females? Most males are generally about twice the size of females. So consider getting 3 boys.

IcarusZulu

IcarusZulu

Fuzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi Hans

Have you thought weather you want males or females?

Most males are generally about twice the size of females.
So consider getting 3 boys.

Thanks for the tip.

I managed to get 3 females at least they only pee in the cage and not outside like some males.
Found someone who had a few up for grabs. He seems to breed them for the pet trade as snake food however he also has is own personal pet rats. The pups I got from him are white, fawn and white and all fawn. And all have been hand reared. Not like the last two that took me a year to tame. These ladies love to be held and don't run or hide even at six weeks old.

Ill post some pics soon.

Heidi

Heidi

Teenage Rat

• Members (Advertising)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts
  • I own 4 rats
Breeders like that don't usually control the breeding. Meaning they do not seperate males and females by 5 weeks. To them it doesn't matter if the 6 week old girl is pregnant or the mother is pregnant for the 5th time in a row. Its all stock for them. Good luck. I hope your 3 girls are not pregnant.

IcarusZulu

IcarusZulu

Fuzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Breeders like that don't usually control the breeding. Meaning they do not seperate males and females by 5 weeks.
To them it doesn't matter if the 6 week old girl is pregnant or the mother is pregnant for the 5th time in a row. Its all stock for them.

Good luck. I hope your 3 girls are not pregnant.

This is true however as one of the largest rose growers in South Africa I seem to feel he understands genetics and assured me the three I got we're his personal pups and not from the general feeder population. He explains that to keep the general feeder population geneticly healthy breeders introduces wild rats from time to time. He assured me that my rats do not have wild rat in them at least not from him anyhow.
Will let you know in a few weeks how things have panned out.

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Backup Administrator
  • 10970 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

He explains that to keep the general feeder population geneticly healthy breeders introduces wild rats from time to time. He assured me that my rats do not have wild rat in them at least not from him anyhow.

That is beyond crazy! Wild rats do not mix with domesticated rats. And they carry a host of diseases that are transmittable to domesticated rats. I cannot believe anyone could be that irresponsible!! :grr: :banghead:
Posted Image

RataNova

RataNova

Baby Rat

• Premium Breeders
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • I own 4 rats
I agree with Caryn! It took years to domesticate rats and keep them disease free, and now some guy comes along and ruin years and years of hard work!!! :banghead:

ronelrat

ronelrat

Since owning rats i've lost my mind but found my soul

• Premium Breeders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats

What we would like is Gambian pouched rats however I think it's illegal tho keep. Has anyone x bread them to make them legal otherwise the next biggest in the list.

Except that they are illegal to keep, they are a different secies and will definitely EAT domestic rats, since they are as big as small dogs!!!

Oh..and i wont EVEN buy rats as feeders for snakes from someone crossing them to wild rats. Could endanger people, the snakes and his rat population! Crazy!! If he bred them to certain types of lab rats that are healthier, i'd understand.

Be careful when exposing those rats to your kids. Kim from KZN had to put down all the rats at her rescue after someone gave her a domestic rat that fostered wild babies. They carried something seriously BAD and it was potentially dangerous to her kids.

Edited by ronelrat, 09 May 2013 - 09:51 PM.

Heidi

Heidi

Teenage Rat

• Members (Advertising)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts
  • I own 4 rats
Sounds like that breeder is a Jack if all trades and master if none. And I don't trust or like the content of this discussion. Going to leave it before it goes to far.

Sasha

Sasha

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts
  • I own Select One rats

Breeders like that don't usually control the breeding. Meaning they do not seperate males and females by 5 weeks.
To them it doesn't matter if the 6 week old girl is pregnant or the mother is pregnant for the 5th time in a row. Its all stock for them.

This is true however as one of the largest rose growers in South Africa I seem to feel he understands genetics and assured me the three I got we're his personal pups and not from the general feeder population. He explains that to keep the general feeder population geneticly healthy breeders introduces wild rats from time to time. He assured me that my rats do not have wild rat in them at least not from him anyhow.

There's no reason an understanding of Mendelian genetics for roses should translate to an understanding of rat genetics... I'm not sure how that's relevant anyway to him knowing where the rats came from. In any event, introducing wild rats to feeder lines would only result in more aggressive rats - hope these breeders and their customers feed f/t or p/k, otherwise they're putting their pets in danger too (not to mention themselves). There's also no logical reason for wild rats to be "healthier" in general, if anything their truncated lifespans would make it harder to know what diseases they're likely to develop as they age.

IcarusZulu

IcarusZulu

Fuzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

There's no reason an understanding of Mendelian genetics for roses should translate to an understanding of rat genetics... I'm not sure how that's relevant anyway to him knowing where the rats came from. In any event, introducing wild rats to feeder lines would only result in more aggressive rats - hope these breeders and their customers feed f/t or p/k, otherwise they're putting their pets in danger too (not to mention themselves). There's also no logical reason for wild rats to be "healthier" in general, if anything their truncated lifespans would make it harder to know what diseases they're likely to develop as they age.

Actually understanding rose genetics is a far more in depth field than rat genetics (that's why rats are used in the lab). Firstly roses take years to grow before one can start refining the art. Typically if I was to modify roses it would take my 20+ years to get somewhere. He said that mixing wild rats with feeder rats dose produce a wilder pet rat however as feeders it dose keep the gene pool strong. No wonder our last rats took a year to tame. So far so good the kids came home today and played with the rattiess and they are as tame as anything. Remember he said he did not sell me his feeder stock.

Mavdb

Mavdb

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • I own 6 rats

Hi Hans

Thanks for the tip.

I managed to get 3 females at least they only pee in the cage and not outside like some males.
Found someone who had a few up for grabs. He seems to breed them for the pet trade as snake food however he also has is own personal pet rats. The pups I got from him are white, fawn and white and all fawn. And all have been hand reared. Not like the last two that took me a year to tame. These ladies love to be held and don't run or hide even at six weeks old.

Ill post some pics soon.

Is this a joke? I can't believe this story. IcarusZulu, I'm glad you joined this forum as there is a lot you can learn about rats here.

Mom to Arthur, Snoopy and Roo. Watching over us: Asterix, Obelix, Poker, Blackjack, Hercules, Lancelot, Galahad, Percival, Merlin, Dennis and Charlie Brown.

IcarusZulu

IcarusZulu

Fuzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi Hans

Thanks for the tip.

Ill post some pics soon.

Is this a joke? I can't believe this story. IcarusZulu, I'm glad you joined this forum as there is a lot you can learn about rats here.

Read through the forum male ras are reputed to pee out the cage from time to time. This is not sn option for me so yes I have something the learn or maybe through the forum I gave learnt pondering....

Mavdb

Mavdb

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • I own 6 rats
I don't mean to be rude. I have males so I know all about them but that was not what I was wondering about, what amazes me is this person you bought the rats from, wish you would rather support a responsible breeder, sounds like the guy you got the rats from is not responsible.

Mom to Arthur, Snoopy and Roo. Watching over us: Asterix, Obelix, Poker, Blackjack, Hercules, Lancelot, Galahad, Percival, Merlin, Dennis and Charlie Brown.

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Backup Administrator
  • 10970 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
+1 to Mavdb Quite honestly I have no words. There is no defending someone like this breeder. What he is doing by bringing wild rats into his breeding colony is just unbelievable, I'm still shocked that anyone would do anything that stupid :grr: :blink: I certainly wouldn't be supporting him and I sure as heck wouldn't care if he assured me that my rats I'm buying are "wild rat breeding" free. Besides not trusting anybody who could do that, just the fact that he's exposing his environment to wild rats and the host of diseases they can carry means I could potentially be buying very very unhealthy bubs.

Edited by Caryn, 10 May 2013 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image

raggedtoothguppie

raggedtoothguppie

vesana servatrix rattorum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1882 posts
  • I own 10 rats

Read through the forum male rats are reputed to pee out the cage from time to time. This is not an option for me so yes I have something the learn or maybe through the forum I gave learnt pondering....

My females pee out the cage too... I don't think it's gender specific.

Owned by: Niffler, Grindylow, Snidget, Bertie Bott, Drooble Gum, Pepper Imp, Sugar Quill, Fizzing Whizzbee, Lumos and Nox.

Love you always: Timothy, Butterscotch, Nutmeg, Arwen, Eowyn, Gryffen, Pegasus, Hazel, Macadamia, Indigo, Bear, Milo, Cocoa, Nesquik, Rosie, Valancy, Stirling, Chocolate, Trufflehunter, Reepicheep, Puzzle, Jewel, Poggin, Fledge, Mr Tumnus, Numair, Polly, Sir Henry, Tinkerbelle, Scarlett, George, Alanna, Mini, Meg, Luna, Flower, Belle, Mei, Mulan, Claidheamh mor, Sgian dubh, Norbert, Smaug, Firedrake. 

Sasha

Sasha

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1121 posts
  • I own Select One rats

Actually understanding rose genetics is a far more in depth field than rat genetics (that's why rats are used in the lab). Firstly roses take years to grow before one can start refining the art. Typically if I was to modify roses it would take my 20+ years to get somewhere. He said that mixing wild rats with feeder rats dose produce a wilder pet rat however as feeders it dose keep the gene pool strong. No wonder our last rats took a year to tame. So far so good the kids came home today and played with the rattiess and they are as tame as anything. Remember he said he did not sell me his feeder stock.

And producing healthy, fully domesticated rats doesn't take years? Wonder what pet rats breeders have been doing for all these years then... Lab rats are bred specifically to remove all genetic variation so that they are uniform for experimental purposes, and they're not used because their genetics are "simpler" than plants, but because they're sensible models for humans, but with shorter gestation times etc. than more long-lived mammals, while still being close enough for the conclusions to hold to an extent. I'm also not sure how roses growing slower means you need a better grasp of genetics to grow them. And if your friend finds rat genetics easier than rose genetics, there are some wealthy funding bodies that would love to know more about the genetic basis of aggression, for example, which hasn't really been figured out yet. My point was that you could be an expert in another organism, however complex, and the genetics would not carry over simply to another organism - the basic principles might, but the actual facts of what is dominant/recessive etc. in a particular species will not be the same in another, especially if you're switching whole kingdoms.

In any event, whether your babies have wild rat in them isn't a question that requires any knowledge of genetics (besides basic principles like the inheritance of traits from parents), since it's a question of pedigree more than anything else. I could know who my ancestors are without having a smidgeon of an idea about how human genetics works.

Also, yep, female rats can definitely pee outside the cage, so it's going to be unfortunate if that's a problem for you. Some will almost never dribble outside the cage, but I've had quite a few that would mark specific people/objects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users