UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)

@  CindyR : (09 November 2017 - 08:51 AM)

I'm in too!

@  lollyh : (07 November 2017 - 12:23 PM)

ha!! i am in.woohooo. :clap: :thanx: :happydance: :yay: :ratlol:

@  lollyh : (30 October 2017 - 08:59 AM)

Rip my sweet Winston. :bigeyecry: I am gonna miss you sweet boy.you are with nougies in heaven.

@  lollyh : (24 October 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Yes I am Roos but I know their is a problem with the forums.it was put on Facebook..apparenting it was hacked & we waiting for tails to fix.on my pc it won't let me in.says decriptive website in big red writing.i am only getting in on my ipad. :ratsad:

@  Rattieroos : (23 October 2017 - 07:43 PM)

Hello..anyone still on here.?

@  lollyh : (23 October 2017 - 09:29 AM)

Hey everyone.is the forums back up & running?.

@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:28 PM) Oops wasnt finished. I will miss them like mad. :cry: :cry: :cry: This will no make my losses this year 9 :( :bigeyecry: I have 12 rescues left. My 10day old babies are turning 1 year tomorrow already. I will always have my few rats but I can't take on rescues anymore. At least for a while. Hope everyone is well.. sad to see the forum so quiet. I know I'm one of the quiet ones. @Lolly, thanks, missed you all too. I'm sure you and Winston miss her gentle nature. *hugs* *hugs*
@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:21 PM) Not able to be on much lately but had to tonight. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Grandpa Roo and his faithful Nibbs this evening. My heart felt like it was in pieces. Roo would have turned 3 next Tuesday. I keep expecting to see them in their cage or have them on the bed with me.
@  lollyh : (03 October 2017 - 09:07 PM) Hey Roos.yes!!. we have missed you. *hugs* thank you swty.miss her gentle nature so much. Poor Winston is also missing her too.
@  Rattieroos : (30 September 2017 - 08:31 PM) Hey all, haven't been on for ages. @ Lolly, so so sorry about Nougies :ratangel:
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 09:01 PM) hehehe after all our rattie talking. :ratgiggle: .i forgot to ask you about the new posting method for here. lol
@  Caryn : (28 September 2017 - 08:52 PM) lol Was lovely to finally meet you in person after all these years :D
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 03:54 PM) So today i finally got to meet my fellow noogan caryn today while up at the Spca.i was so excited to meet her.i screamed her name like a mad person. :clap: lol
@  Caryn : (27 September 2017 - 08:44 PM) Ah no :(
@  CindyR : (27 September 2017 - 12:56 PM) Aaarrrggggg! I can't seem to post any pics with this new image site. My pc refuses to work with it.
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:40 PM) for the most part, the NB images are done, but please drop me a PM or an email (not here in the chat) if you see any more 3rd party photobucket broken image links (excl posts made by members other than admin/Tails)
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM) yay banners done so far
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 12:39 PM) @lollyh, dont think he's a RN member :) and I'm so so sorry about Nougies :( :( :(
@  DiscoMoose : (19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM) i'm really sorry Lolly. She was most beautiful and special girl. I am thankful that she could go peacefully at home, with those she loves. <3 rest in peace dearest Nougies. All my love and compassion to you, Lolly <3
@  lollyh : (18 September 2017 - 09:56 PM) hi all.my very special nougies passed away this morning at 2:20am. :ratsadlook: .she reached 3 yrs & 2months.gonna miss her so much.she passed with sweet winston by her side till the end.

Photo

What fresh food did your ratties get today?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Rattieroos

Rattieroos

Crazy Rat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
You'll find it amazing that ( if they end up eating that is ) every last bit of flesh is eaten from a grape or a cherry tomato but they leave the skins. As thin as the skins are they manage to eat and leave the skins behind.

Sometimes I bite into the grape or tomato just enough to let the juice out so they can smell it. Sometimes they don't realise what's inside. Worth a try?

Not all rats like fruit, mostly grapes of all colours are favorites though. Just remember citrus fruits aren't good for boys. And baby tomatoes are generally liked. Small sweet apples cut in wedges, they leave those skins as well. Most like olives every now and then.

Do your babies eat the whole pea or do they also shell those? Mine eat the pea or corn and leave the shells. I've only had one baby who ate the whole thing! You can also give cooked rice or noodles, they love that. Mine just got banana oats tonight with honey a blob of butter. They had mielie on the cob last night so lots of cleaning today! I only had porridge for dinner so they did too lol
  • KatD likes this
My current Ratties: Dove, Marybelle, Rosy, Ivy, Peaches, Plum and Duff (girls) Thunder, Doodle and Wallee (neutered boys) then my intact boys: Rodger and Dodger :ratlol: :tummykiss: :Kiss:

Always remembered, always in my heart, RIP my children: Sandy (our first ratty love) Pepper, Mickey, Snowy, Cloudy, Kellogs, Snoekie, Thing 1, Wotnot, Thing 2, Mischief, Monty, Barney, Seamus, Dolores aka Dilly, Jerry, Brian, Alfred, Patches, Stewie, Squeak, Bubble, Treble, Hayley, Onyx, Milo, Roxie, baby Bailey, FiFi, Bass, Bangerang, Emo, Nibbs and Roo :bigeyecry: :ratangel:

RIP my doggy loves: Andy and Toffee, loved and missed forever :cry:

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

Also, rats taste change as they get older. Much like humans that way. Imagine little kids who only want mac & cheese and not a gourmet meal lol So don't give up on a certain food right away. Keep trying it and you'll probably find they enjoy it or at least are more willing to try it later :)

• Mavdb, Rattieroos and KatD like this

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

Mavdb

Mavdb

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • I own 6 rats

+1 to Caryn. 

I also find when a rat first comes to us it might be very cautious of trying new foods and it can take weeks or even months before they will eat it. Some rats are fussier than others but we've been lucky and our boys eventually eat their fruit and veg. We try not give too much of items that have a lot of sugar (fruits, carrots, corn, peas etc) and also not too much cucumber, lettuce, cauliflower or broccoli (things that can cause an upset tummy). 

• KatD likes this

Mom to Arthur, Snoopy and Roo. Watching over us: Asterix, Obelix, Poker, Blackjack, Hercules, Lancelot, Galahad, Percival, Merlin, Dennis and Charlie Brown.

Ratlover

Ratlover

Baby Rat

• Discontinued Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • I own 0 rats

How many times a day do you guys feed your rats? I give them their fresh dry mix every morning, but I find come night time that the bowl is not completely finished, so I either leave it till the next morning or if I feel bad, I throw out what's left and put in fresh dry mix. So my question is, can they be fed one bowl of dry mix a day, or should they be fed twice a day. Keep in mind they are babies, about 5 or 6 weeks old.

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

Totally normal Ratlover!  Little bubs grow at an alarming rate and they never seem to stop eating at that age.  You'll find once they get older the food intake will decrease to normal levels.  Until then, they're just little tiny vacuum cleaners lol  And of course  remember to make sure they get extra protein in their diet until they're around 12wks as well to help with their growth :)

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

Ratlover

Ratlover

Baby Rat

• Discontinued Account
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • I own 0 rats

So far chicken and eggs (boiled egg, scrambled eggs or cooked egg??) have been suggested. Anything else that is easy and accessible?

Mavdb

Mavdb

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • I own 6 rats
We fill the dry food bowl once a day and give fresh fruit and veg once a day too. In the morning they get a small amount of porridge just as a snack.

Mom to Arthur, Snoopy and Roo. Watching over us: Asterix, Obelix, Poker, Blackjack, Hercules, Lancelot, Galahad, Percival, Merlin, Dennis and Charlie Brown.

KatD

KatD

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • I own 4 rats

This weekend I introduced tinned Alaskan pink salmon in water to the boys, I gave them some on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and they loved it. I did add some Omega 6 (I know it contains Omega3) but will abstain from the Omega's for this week seeing as I am giving them some Viralguard again (one week on one week off). They also had some watermelon, which they didn't really like, and I gave them some raspberries and grapes. On tonight's menu is chicken, wild brown rice with lentils with peas and corn :drool: they eat better than I do! I also noticed that they dislike butternut, they'll have it if there is nothing else to pick from left (but won't touch it if it's mashed), they love the dried chicken treats (Woollies dog treats) but don't really like biltong all that much, normal beef sticks.

I clearly forgot that almond was a no no but cleared it from their bowls, except Moe got hold of one and refused that I take it back...do I worry? Because I figured if I gave it to them in relatively large amounts over regular intervals will the cyanide content be a problem, whereas a once off accidental morsel wouldn't risk too much? :loopy:

Oh and they get their porridge with some honey most mornings, sometimes I'll give them some rooibos tea and honey but they don't really drink it at all, they just tip it over as to say "what the heck are you thinking mom?" I tried the boiled egg thing once.....Moe stashed almost everything away and the smell made me want to throw up so I cleared it, they did have a bite or two though before mum couldn't take it anymore lol

My20beautiful20boys202_zpsdb2q6zj6.jpg

:loveyoueyes: My beautiful boys :loveyoueyes:

Moe & Mishca

D.O.B 29 January 2015

Max & Micah

D.O.B 10 April 2015

:thud:

Mavdb

Mavdb

Adult Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2695 posts
  • I own 6 rats

Saw this article shared on FB (link below) by one of the forum members, I thought it was an interesting read. One of the points they make is to not give too much protein to rats as they don't need it and it can contribute to kidney disease. We almost never give our boys extra protein (meat), they might get a small bite of something every two weeks. 

http://www.2ndchance...o/ratkidney.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users