UA-16177645-2

Welcome to RATANOOGA Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Toggle shoutbox RATANOOGA Chatbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Hey Ratanoogians! Don't forget, the chatbox is only for casual chat. Please post actual questions in the relevant section in the forums. :)

@  CindyR : (09 November 2017 - 08:51 AM)

I'm in too!

@  lollyh : (07 November 2017 - 12:23 PM)

ha!! i am in.woohooo. :clap: :thanx: :happydance: :yay: :ratlol:

@  lollyh : (30 October 2017 - 08:59 AM)

Rip my sweet Winston. :bigeyecry: I am gonna miss you sweet boy.you are with nougies in heaven.

@  lollyh : (24 October 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Yes I am Roos but I know their is a problem with the forums.it was put on Facebook..apparenting it was hacked & we waiting for tails to fix.on my pc it won't let me in.says decriptive website in big red writing.i am only getting in on my ipad. :ratsad:

@  Rattieroos : (23 October 2017 - 07:43 PM)

Hello..anyone still on here.?

@  lollyh : (23 October 2017 - 09:29 AM)

Hey everyone.is the forums back up & running?.

@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:28 PM) Oops wasnt finished. I will miss them like mad. :cry: :cry: :cry: This will no make my losses this year 9 :( :bigeyecry: I have 12 rescues left. My 10day old babies are turning 1 year tomorrow already. I will always have my few rats but I can't take on rescues anymore. At least for a while. Hope everyone is well.. sad to see the forum so quiet. I know I'm one of the quiet ones. @Lolly, thanks, missed you all too. I'm sure you and Winston miss her gentle nature. *hugs* *hugs*
@  Rattieroos : (16 October 2017 - 11:21 PM) Not able to be on much lately but had to tonight. I had to say goodbye to my beloved Grandpa Roo and his faithful Nibbs this evening. My heart felt like it was in pieces. Roo would have turned 3 next Tuesday. I keep expecting to see them in their cage or have them on the bed with me.
@  lollyh : (03 October 2017 - 09:07 PM) Hey Roos.yes!!. we have missed you. *hugs* thank you swty.miss her gentle nature so much. Poor Winston is also missing her too.
@  Rattieroos : (30 September 2017 - 08:31 PM) Hey all, haven't been on for ages. @ Lolly, so so sorry about Nougies :ratangel:
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 09:01 PM) hehehe after all our rattie talking. :ratgiggle: .i forgot to ask you about the new posting method for here. lol
@  Caryn : (28 September 2017 - 08:52 PM) lol Was lovely to finally meet you in person after all these years :D
@  lollyh : (28 September 2017 - 03:54 PM) So today i finally got to meet my fellow noogan caryn today while up at the Spca.i was so excited to meet her.i screamed her name like a mad person. :clap: lol
@  Caryn : (27 September 2017 - 08:44 PM) Ah no :(
@  CindyR : (27 September 2017 - 12:56 PM) Aaarrrggggg! I can't seem to post any pics with this new image site. My pc refuses to work with it.
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:40 PM) for the most part, the NB images are done, but please drop me a PM or an email (not here in the chat) if you see any more 3rd party photobucket broken image links (excl posts made by members other than admin/Tails)
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM) yay banners done so far
@  Tails : (19 September 2017 - 12:39 PM) @lollyh, dont think he's a RN member :) and I'm so so sorry about Nougies :( :( :(
@  DiscoMoose : (19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM) i'm really sorry Lolly. She was most beautiful and special girl. I am thankful that she could go peacefully at home, with those she loves. <3 rest in peace dearest Nougies. All my love and compassion to you, Lolly <3
@  lollyh : (18 September 2017 - 09:56 PM) hi all.my very special nougies passed away this morning at 2:20am. :ratsadlook: .she reached 3 yrs & 2months.gonna miss her so much.she passed with sweet winston by her side till the end.

Photo

Vitamins

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats

New thread for that might be handy *hugs* Or a new article for the website itself :)

Good point lol So, here goes again...
I'm hoping some of you out there can help me with these q's:

What vitamins do you buy for you rats?
Where do you get them?
How do you determine correct daily dosage?
And depending on form (ie: tablet, liquid), how do you give it to them?

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

Tails

Tails

RATANOOGA Co-Founder & Avid Photographer

• Administrators
  • 9583 posts
  • I own 0 rats
*stickied* lol

Rats:
Cats:
Scooter & Angie

:ratangel: RIP: Maxie "my Maxibon", Pepper "my Pepsicola", Intel "The Original Fragile", Apple "my Fadapple", Linux "my Beautiful Girl", Feyrith "my Banana-Face", Xeon "my Old Cronky", Ramoth "my Badgerboo", Orlith " my Orly-whip"/"my Orlyball", Wirenth "Wormy"; Vignette "Figgy Pudding"; Iso "Iso 1000 / Hamster Rat"; Macro "The Fats"; Oscar ("my little lion"), NiMH "Nimble-Thim/Nimbelina", Pidtjie "Pidjtie-Poodle", Thyme "Teecky", Brie "my Broo", Cinnamon "Cinna-mom", Three "Wheel Tail",Treble "Trebbest / Buddahbelly", Cotton "Cottonball"
tag #ratanoogarats on your rat photos on Instagram!

pathman

pathman

Fuzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Good point :loveyoueyes: So, here goes again...
I'm hoping some of you out there can help me with these q's:

What vitamins do you buy for you rats?
Where do you get them?
How do you determine correct daily dosage?
And depending on form (ie: tablet, liquid), how do you give it to them?

There are 2 types of vitamins: Fat soluable and water soluable.

Robalon industries makes a vitamin additive u can add to the drinking water, it's sold as "Hamster tonic" Contains vit B, C etc.
Only add one day of the week when changing water as too much vit can cause kidney stones and vit overdoses. A little goes a long way.

Mirracote contain the fat soluable vitamins. I give my rats a few drops once a week on a little piece of bread, they absolutley love it, to the point of licking the stuff off your fingers.

Hope that helps.

Mellowmich

Mellowmich

Riding Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • I own 3 rats
You can get a bottle of OptiVit that you give in the water. I get mine from my Vet.

Co-founder Ratanooga - Resigned September 2006
Founder of socRATties (est Nov '06): Education & information program
Email: socratties@gmail.com

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter; the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love & hope, fear & dread, sadness & betrayal & I was angry!!!" God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment & then spoke softly, "I have done something. "I created you."
- Jim Willis

Bodicea

Bodicea

Old-Timer Rat

• Discontinued Account
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3042 posts
  • I own Select One rats
Maureen also mentioned Mirracote to me, would I find it at the vet or the chemist? I've got a few old biddies that could do with an added extra.
I wish people would realise that animals are totally dependent, helpless, like children; a trust that is put upon us.

James Herriot

Posted Image
Pets name: (Tony)
Adopt your own!

Owner of Runebound Rattery and member of *beep* Rat Rescue - breeding and rescuing since 1995

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
Thanks for the input everyone :loveyoueyes: Will ask my vet if they stock any when I go in for the Baytril/Doxy again.

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

Viia

Viia

RATANOOGA Co-Founder & Rat Diet Expert

• Administrators
  • 4034 posts
  • I own 3 rats
I just give my boys BettaWay Women vitamins. I roughly worked the dose out according to the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K are stored in the body) because those can be toxic when too much is ingested over long periods. Water soluble is removed through waste. I crush the tablet after removing the casing and then take an amount equal to about a small grain of rice and mix into food. I give it to them every 2 or 3 days. :loveyoueyes:

[color=#800080;][font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]Play hard at the Bridge:
Sprocket; Loki & Ninja; Noka & Spencer; Spurgus & Bradley; Pinky & Axel; Twinky & Picasso; Bongo & ET[/color][/font]

Didi

Didi

Baby Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
sorry to restart an old thread... I got some kiddie vitamins for myself, because I hate swallowing tablets and those omega fish oil things are revolting! The kids ones are much nicer. I've given my girls a taste of them both. They're nice and sweet, so they love them. I only give it once every 2 weeks or so and then only half a tablet to chew between the 2 of them. I firmly believe that unless there's a medical indication, vitamin supplements just give you expensive pee :banghead: 77777777777777777777777777hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh== that meaningful addition was courtesy of lemons :P

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
I think most of the ratty members around here use Viral Guard Junior syrup now since this thread was started too, or at least that's what has become the most popular vitamin supplement of choice. Especially since it has some nice ingredients to help fight off sickness too, besides being a multivitamin :P

It's also available from most pharmacies, Clicks, etc. The following is based on an average adult +-300g rat, so adjust accordingly for smaller or larger furkids:

Maintenance dosage:
0.1ml a day per rat for two weeks, then one week break
The break is because it has echinacea, so this helps to prevents any resistance buildup to it's effectiveness, a common side-effect.

Booster dosage - for sick ratties:
0.2ml per rat per day

Edited by Caryn, 21 September 2011 - 10:24 AM.

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

ladypandora

ladypandora

Founder, Mischief Rat Rescue & Mischief Pet Products

• Members (Advertising)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2468 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
I am glad to hear I can use Mirracote. We use it for the ancient cats as well as the bullterriers at work and it is amazing! Apparently it is just canola oil. Rather just check with your vet before you feed the ratties canola oil though. Mirracote is very easy to get, most pet deli's as well as vets stock it. They come in large and small bottles and I think for the ratties yo will only need to give one tiny drop. I have noticed that they seem to have put something in to make it more palatable. Even our fussiest cats eat their food like its the last they will ever get when it has the stuff mixed in.

Posted Image
Proud slave to the Mischief Horde.

www.facebook.com/MischiefRatRescue
ladyp145@gmail.com

lilianblythe

lilianblythe

Teenage Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • I own 5 rats
As far as I know Mirracote is a fish oil? I might be wrong... But I give my girls some of it about twice a week on brown bread. They go bonkers for it :P Caryn, thanks for that dosage guide! *makes note on shopping list*

[color=#800080;]"I want to know the thoughts of God. Everything else is just details." - Albert Einstein[/color]

[color=#800080;]__________________________________________________________________[/color]

[color=#800080;]Current Mischief: Zipporah, Sam Vimes, Willikins, Pratchett & Fresca[/color]

[color=#800080;]Playing at the bridge: Magrat Garlick, Susan Sto Helit, Spiderman, Russell, Wallie, Luca, Gino, French, Leila, Batseba[/color]

Mellowmich

Mellowmich

Riding Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • I own 3 rats
With the right dry diet, you TEEEEEECHNICALLY don't need to feed vitamins. My rats no longer take any extra unless they are old and frail. What's important is that their dry mix has all the important minerals etc that are required, such as Iron, which rats need a certain quantity of as well as a roughage base (such as weetbix) to help their colons process properly. A good rat food in the mix helps ensure that they actually getting what they need. Personally I wont trust any diet other then the one I feed my rats as it has been Vet approved and, since refining it to is present state, I have had really good runs with my rats (that and i dont treat with doxy or baytril unless I HAVE to, which i haven't in over a year)

Edited by Mellowmich, 14 September 2010 - 07:46 AM.

Co-founder Ratanooga - Resigned September 2006
Founder of socRATties (est Nov '06): Education & information program
Email: socratties@gmail.com

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter; the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love & hope, fear & dread, sadness & betrayal & I was angry!!!" God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment & then spoke softly, "I have done something. "I created you."
- Jim Willis

Caryn

Caryn

Rat + Horse Enthusiast!

• Moderators
  • 10939 posts
  • I own 21+ rats
I have to agree Mellowmich, I've only used the Viral Guard for my older ratties and when they've been a bit sniffly. I do recommend it, as it's a very good product, but I don't supplement my girls with it or anything else permanently. If you're giving them the right diet (like us humans) then adding supplements isn't necessary :bigeyerat:

RN_Signature_2016.jpg

ladypandora

ladypandora

Founder, Mischief Rat Rescue & Mischief Pet Products

• Members (Advertising)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2468 posts
  • I own 11-20 rats
I also don't give any extra supplements to my ratties, but the boys are getting really old and I think it might be time for a bit of extra help to keep the old skin healthy. With my previous old ones I had constant coat probs. Either too greasy, causing them to really smell and leave grease marks everywhere or too dry causing them to itch and scratch holes into their bodies. Plus one ancient guy decided to get a nasty case of mite, who knows where but all I could say is blegh! Nastiest little goggos I have ever seen.

Posted Image
Proud slave to the Mischief Horde.

www.facebook.com/MischiefRatRescue
ladyp145@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users